Page Under Construction
A 1983 survey by the Lutheran Synod revealed the need for a Lutheran church in the Sebastian area.
This led to the purchase by the Synod of the property at 1301 Fellsmere Road
(now Sebastian Boulevard).
In December, 1984, Reverend Paul Hauenstein accepted the call as mission developer of the
Lutheran Mission in Sebastian.
What was to become Christ the King Lutheran Church (CTK) held its first worship service on February 10, 1985, at the Sebastian River Middle School’s auditorium.
On February 26, 1985, a five-member steering committee was formed to discuss plans for the development
of a local church.
On May 19, 1985, Christ the King Lutheran Church (CTK) was officially organized with 33 members, and its first church council was elected.
On May 31, 1985, CTK was received as a member of the Southeastern District
of the American Lutheran Church.
On April 21, 1987, the Church Office located at the Fischer Building burned to the ground destroying the church records and the Pastor’s Office.
CTK became a member of the new Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) on January 1, 1988.
On January 12, 1992, a building committee was elected to spearhead the construction and outfitting
of the initial church building at
1301 Sebastian Boulevard.
On September 18, 1993, a groundbreaking ceremony was held at the site of the future church building.
On December 29, 1993, the foundation was poured for the church building.
The first worship service was held in the new CTK church on April 17, 1994.
The church building was officially dedicated on May 22, 1994.
CTK’s congregation celebrated its tenth anniversary on May 21, 1995, with a special program and a dinner.
Pastor Paul Hauenstein retired as Pastor in June of 2020.
Reverend Julia D. Shreve served as CTK's Pastor from mid-2000 to February, 2006
CTK’s congregation and its building still function in an efficient manner despite the devastating effects of Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne in September of 2004 that resulted in heavy wind and water damage to the building’s roof, Sanctuary, and kitchen.
Jeff Schaefer dedicatedly served as CTK's Supply Pastor from late February 2006 until the late summer of 2006.
In late summer of 2006, Pastor Jake Knoedler assumed the role of the Synod-Supplied Interim Pastor but was required to relocate to Pennsylvania to attend to critical family health issues.
Synod immediately appointed Interim Pastor Stan Wickett to replace Pastor Knoedler. Pastor Wickett served CTK from late summer 2006 of until he resigned in late April 2009.
In May 2009, Synod appointed Pastor Jim Spanogle as CTK's Interim Pastor. He served until September 30, 2010.
On October 1, 2010, Pastor Karen L. Leedahl began her call at CTK as its part time Pastor.
In July of 2014, CTK called Pastor Leedahl as its full time Pastor.
The plans for the expansion of the Sanctuary portion of the church, which modified and enlarged (deepened) the altar area by 16 feet, were developed in 2014 and 2015.
Dedication of the expanded Sanctuary occurred on April 24, 2016.
Pastor Leedahl retired as Pastor in September 2019.
CTK began it call process by forming a Call Committee in 2019, just prior to the beginning of the COVID 19 pandemic.
In October, 2019, Dr. Sydney Nelson was installed as CTK's Interim Pastor. Pastor Nelson served in that position at CTK until October, 2021.
In November, 2021, Pastor Nelson was replaced by the Reverend Dr. Neal Otto Hively who served at CTK as Interim Pastor until January 2022.
Reverend Paul E. Hauenstein
American Lutheran Church Logo
Original ELCA Logo
September 18, 1992, Groundbreaking
Reverend Julia D. Shreve
Interim Pastor Jake Knoedler
Interim Pastor Stan Wickett
Interim Pastor Jim Spanogle
Pastor Karen L. Leedahl
April 24, 2016 Sanctuary Expansion Dedication Service Bulletin
Reverend Dr. Sydney Nelson
Reverend Dr. Neal Otto Hively
PREVIOUS CONGREGATION DIRECTORIES